Solar panels are one of the best investments many people can make in their homes. These systems are highly efficient and capable of turning sunlight into power to run your home’s appliances, heating and cooling, and computers. Learning how to get solar panels for your home is your first step. There are various options available, but it is always important to do some research to ensure you are investing in the best solar panels for homes like your own.
What Are Solar Panels and How Do They Work?
Solar panels are devices that sit on the roof of your home or on the ground near it. The panels, often called photovoltaic panels or PVs, are designed to absorb the energy from the sunlight that hits them. When this happens, it allows the panels to hold onto that energy and converts it into electricity. Through several other steps, the system helps to generate electricity to power your home.
Solar panels are highly efficient devices. Modern versions are able to absorb more of the sun’s energy and convert it into electricity that can be used to keep your home running.
How to Get Solar Panels Installed on Your Home
Solar panel installation is a process that takes professional support. There are numerous steps beyond just purchasing solar panels and placing them on the roof. That’s why the professional installation of a home solar panel system is nearly always recommended.
Here are a few reasons why professional solar installation is recommended over DIY:
- Professionals will help determine if your home gets enough sunlight to generate enough solar energy.
- The next step is ensuring your roof is in good shape and the right size to support the solar panel system you need.
- A professional installer will then work with you to determine the size and type of solar panel system best associated with your home’s needs based on location but also how much power you need to generate.
- When the time comes to install the system, the installation team ensures the bracketing system is placed just as directed by the manufacturer, protecting your warranty on it.
- The solar panels themselves are then placed properly, also protecting the warranty.
- All components that allow for the powering of your home, including battery systems and inverters, are also carefully installed and set up.
- Your electrical system is verified to be safe and properly installed, functioning, and efficient.
When you allow a professional to help with solar panel home installation, you can be sure the entire process is done properly. When you want to learn how to get solar panels for your home, read about the solar installation process here.
Understanding the Suitability of Your Home for Solar Panels
Solar panels are versatile and work efficiently in diverse climates. However, not all homes are ideally suited for solar installations. Factors such as tree shade, the shape and slope of your roof, and its age can affect the effectiveness of solar panels. Typically, south-facing roofs with a slope between 15 and 40 degrees are ideal, but other configurations could also work.
If your home isn’t suitable for solar, or if you’re unsure, don’t let that deter you. Contact Solar Energy World today. Our team of solar professionals can conduct a comprehensive evaluation to determine if your home is eligible for a solar panel installation. Our goal is to help you harness the power of the sun efficiently and affordably.
Is a DIY Solar Installation a Good Idea?
While some homeowners may consider DIY installation to save on costs, it’s important to note that the process can be complex and potentially hazardous. Mistakes could increase the risk of a fire occurring. There’s also the risk of damaging the system, which could mean costly repairs. Also, if the installation is not done properly, the warranty provided by the solar panel manufacturer may not be valid.
More so, you want to be sure you are getting the most out of your solar panel system. The best way to do that is to make sure you are working with a trusted company with ample experience.
How Do You Find the Right Solar Installer?
Just as you do some research to determine the best solar panels for homes like yours, you also want to learn as much as you can about the installation company. Who are they? Are they certified? What brands of solar panel systems do they install?
You also want to look for referrals and gather recommendations from others. You want to be sure you are buying a quality product, having it installed properly, and having access to the support you need should there be a need to get it.
Some of the best companies will provide you with the entire process. That includes helping you to choose the most appropriate system for your home and then install it. They also provide service and support should there be a problem with the system down the road. If you need to upgrade later, they can continue to help you.
What Are The Different Types of Solar Systems You Can Get for Your Home?
There are three types of systems that are commonly used for solar generation in residential properties. This includes:
- Grid-tied solar systems: This type of system is connected directly to the utility company’s power grid in your area. This allows you to have some security of the grid should there be a problem that knocks power off to your system.
- Off-grid solar systems: This type of solar system is not connected to the utility grid and is dependent on battery storage to function properly. These homes will rely completely on solar power.
- Hybrid solar systems: These systems typically are connected to the power grid but also have a battery storage system. This tends to be ideal because it enables not only for you to have utility grid access when you need it but you may be able to sell excess solar energy generated to the utility company for credits.
How Long Does It Take to Install Home Solar Panels?
The amount of time it takes to install a home solar panel system is dependent on the overall size of your home and your needs. Most of the time, the typical installation takes under six hours by a professional company. There could be a number of weeks to wait prior to installation if there is a situation where the panels themselves are on backorder. Still, the sooner you reach out to learn more about the installation process, the better.
Can I Trust the Safety of Solar Panels?
Yes! Solar panels undergo rigorous international inspections and tests to meet high standards, and skilled installers follow local building, fire, and electrical regulations. Furthermore, a certified electrician inspects your solar energy system thoroughly as part of the installation process.
Solar panels feature a robust encapsulant that prevents any chemical leaks, akin to the sealant used for defroster elements in car windshields. On rare occasions, a solar panel might break due to weather conditions or unexpected incidents. Any potential exposure to lead and cadmium from a broken solar panel would be well below the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s acceptable limit for soil, air, and groundwater. Therefore, rest assured that solar panels are safe and reliable for your home.
Seeking More Resources on Solar Adoption?
If you’re looking to delve deeper into the world of solar, why not check out our blog, “The Sun Report”? It’s a treasure trove of information, where we explore all things solar. From the basics of solar technology to the latest industry insights, we’ve got you covered. And if there’s a question we haven’t addressed there, don’t hesitate to reach out. Our knowledgeable solar experts are always here to assist.
Ready to Learn More About Solar Panel Installation?
For those who are ready to consider solar installation, start by requesting a consultation to get pricing information. You can contact us immediately to set up some time to talk about timelines, expected costs, and the overall installation process.